REGISTRATION DEADLINE EXTENDED! REGISTER NOW BEFORE MAY28TH!
Go To: Registration | Officials | Volunteering
Be the first Canada Open national champion!
Karate Canada has sanctioned a new annual Karate BC event called the Canada Open Karate Championships, to be held at the beautiful Richmond Oval Olympic Arena on June 3 & 4, 2017, near the Vancouver International Airport in British Columbia, Canada.
The Canada Open will become one of the largest karate tournaments to be held in North America by offering divisions for all levels and ages using World Karate Federation (WKF) rules.
- Team Kata
- Kobudo (weapons)
There are no qualification requirements for the Canada Open. Simply read the tournament brochure and register online as a club team, or as an individual if your club is not organizing a team.
- Masters divisions are from age 40 and up.
- Athletes may enter a higher division than their current rank.
- Athletes may not enter both Advanced and Elite divisions, they must choose one or the other.
- Kumite athletes may only enter same-age divisions, as there is no option for entering higher age divisions.
- Kobudo kata competition – scorecards will be used by officials, and any version of a kobudo kata (since kata’s with the same name are performed differently by different kobudo groups) will be allowed.
- Rec Team Kata and Elite Team Kata are both a single fee for 3 athletes at the first division price.
- The WKF rules for Para-Karate will soon be uploaded here with the regular WKF rules explanation.
- Kata athletes who are 16-17yrs may enter higher kata age divisions in the same category. For example:
- Girls Elite 16-17yrs Kata may enter Girls Elite 18-19-20yrs and Women’s 18yrs+ Kata divisions.
- Boys Rec 16-17yrs Advanced Kata can enter Men’s Rec Advanced Kata as well.
- Team Kata registration procedure: To enter a club’s Kata Team, the coach must enter all of their club’s individual athletes first in individual divisions, then choose the names of the athletes who will compete in specific kata team divisions. Individual athletes can not add themselves to a Kata Team without receiving individual entry fees, therefore kata teams should be communicating with their club coach about registration.
Flying Side Kick Contest
Flying sidekick contest for all ages is a super exciting event after each age division is completed. If you can run, jump over a high-jump bar, kick sideways into a blocker, and land on your feet, you can try again after the bar is raised. One winner for each age group wins the gold medal and bragging rights! Check out the flying sidekick video posted here:
Canada Open Karate Kata Mass Demonstration
Also, be part of the largest karate kata demonstration in Canadian history! Anyone who practices karate, competitors and non-competitors (club members, instructors, parents, etc) can learn the fun ‘Canada Open Kata’ and join hundreds of others to perform the kata together to the beat of a Japanese drum! See details below.
With the global karate community expanding each year, and karate now being an Olympic sport in the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics, come join us in June to be part of this exciting new championships!
Download FULL event brochure HERE!
When: June 3-4, 2017
Where: Richmond Olympic Oval (click link for map to venue)
Who Can Participate?
- Anyone of any age and from any karate style can participate! Novice to elite divisions.
- No qualification requirements. Simply register and participate!
- plus the flying sidekick contest for all ages!.
World Karate Federation rules will be used, as modified by Karate BC.
For complete rule information, please click these links:
- Help make Canada’s largest kata demo ever! Learn the easy ‘Canada Open Kata’ with your club and join hundreds of karate practitioners performing it together to the slow beat of a taiko drum. This is a compilation kata of the 5 largest styles in Canada, celebrating friendship and inclusion of all karate people.
Canada Open Kata video
- Kobudo weapons demonstration!
- Self-defence demonstration!
- Team kata with bunkai (applications)!
Registration (and General Event Information):
The complete information package, including how to register for the event can be downloaded HERE.
NOTE: Please refer to “Competition Updates” section above before registering!
Registration is LIVE!
Registration Deadline: Please NOTE that the deadline to register has been extended to May 28th, 2017!
Questions about travelling to the event from outside of Canada or the US?
Athletes from outside Canada are responsible for checking if they need a visa to visit Canada. Don’t know if a visa is required? Click HERE to check.
If a visa is required, then it is the responsibility of the registrant to apply for the correct visa. If an invitation letter is required, this will only be supplied by the organizers once an athlete registration and payment are received. If the athlete is unable to receive a visa to enter Canada, their registration fee will be refunded (minus an administration fee), as long as the organizing committee is informed by May 25, 2017. Unfortunately, the organizers are unable to provide any other assistance with respect to attaining a travel visa other than providing this invitation letter.
Live streaming will be available on the via a link on this page during the event – be sure to check back during the event for more details!
Where To Stay
Tournament Sponsor Hotel: Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel (7551 Westminster Hwy, Richmond, BC). Click link for map.
The Sheraton has given the Canada Open Karate Championships a fantastic room rate so please support our host hotel. It is also a short walk from the Richmond Olympic Oval.
Event code ‘Canada Open Karate Championships 2017’
Reservation deadline – May 9, 2017
For information on officiating, including registering to officiate, at the Canada Open Karate Championships, please contact Paul Sexton via email at jpshwk(at)icloud.com (replacing “(at)” with “@”).
Do you, or someone you know, have time to volunteer for this great event and see some exciting karate action? If so, then please sign up HERE!
The Canada Open Karate Championships could not happen without the generous support of our sponsors. Know a company or organization that would be a great fit for this event? If so, then we’d love to talk to them! Please email us at email@example.com.